Links to Modernization Services
Note: although we briefly list the services available from these companies that we consider to be most relevant to legacy modernization, there are other products and services available from all of them. We recommend researching each web site to familiarize yourself with their complete offerings.
We divide services companies into 6 categories based on what we consider to be their primary services:
- Re-interfacing (aka extension or integration) – products and services to create a new application program interface into existing legacy applications.
- Re-hosting – minimal changes to an application to move an application to another platform, typically from a mainframe to Linux, Unix or Windows, usually supported by emulation products.
- Renovation – a renovation (or code translation) project will create some specific mass change to an application, such as translating one language to another, translating from one database (or indexed file system) to a SQL database management system, translating the user interface from a character based UI to a graphical UI, certain types of specialized translations, or a combination of the above. In general, renovation projects are highly tool intensive, and for many vendors may provide 100% or very close to 100% of all changes using an automated tool.Note: renovation may or may not include re-hosting, just as re-hosting may or may not include renovation. They frequently go together in a project, and as a result many people think of them as the same thing – which they are definitely not.However, the companies that do one usually also do the other, and so they appear in a common category: Re-hosting/Renovation
- Re-architecting – a re-architecting project is superficially similar to renovation in that it generally results in an application source represented by a new language, a new database, a new UI, and (in the case of mainframe applications) a re-hosting as well. However, re-architecting is distinguished from renovation in that it is a semi-automated process rather than a fully automated process, costs more, and produces a higher quality result in the form of properly organized object oriented source code (usually Java or C#).
- Declarative Technologies – these new approaches to modernization (and also greenfield development) are cutting edge ways to redevelop your applications, reducing the total lifetime cost of ownership significantly and promising that applications based on use of declarative technologies will never again become “legacy.”
Please note that these categories constitute a spectrum rather than clearly discrete pigeonholes, and companies are assigned based solely on our opinion.
Anubex www.anubex.com (European specialist in re-hosting and translation for a variety of languages)
Asysco www.asysco.com (mainframe to native .NET specialist)
Cornerstone Technologies www.http://g4eam.com/ (European code translation and re-hosting company active in US).
Forecross Corporation, http://www.forecross.com (specialist in re-hosting and translation for ADSO/IDMS and Adabas Natural systems)
Fresche Legacy www.freschelegacy.com (formerly Speedware, a re-hosting and renovation specialist for HP 3000, AS/400, and mainframe)
Gizmots, Gizmoxts.com (specialist in legacy desktop application modernization)
HTWC http://www.htwc.com (re-hosting and renovation specialist, owner of XFrame product)
Inglenet Business Solutions http://inglenet.com (formerly Allinson-Ross, North American specialist in Unisys/OS 2200)
Language Portability www.languageportability.com (COBOL to C#)
Lead Point Inc. http://www.leadpointinc.com (re-hosting and renovation specialist)
Legacy Consulting and Modernization Group, www.lcmg.us (CA-Datacom conversion/migration, CA-IDMS conversion/migration, Software AG Adabas conversion, Security audits, improvements, modernization)
Metaware, http://www.metaware.fr, (European specialist in re-hosting and translation for a variety of languages and platforms)
Modern Systems www.modernsystems.com (formed by merger of Ateras and Blue Phoenix), (specialist in re-hosting and translation for a variety of languages, business rule extraction)
MOST Technologies Ltd., www.mosttechnologies.com (mainframe legacy modernization and NATURAL/ADABAS translation specialist)
MSS International, www.mssint.com (specialist in Unisys systems, LINC and COBOL to Java)
Raincode, www.raincode.com (specialist in IDEAL/Datacom translation, COBOL restructuring, and Pacbase translation)
Semantic Designs www.semdesigns.com (specialist in re-hosting and translation for a variety of languages)
Software Mining, www.softwaremining.com (COBOL to Java translation product, listed here because most renovation offerings are services not products)
Synthesis Management & Consulting GmbH, www.synthesis.de (European specialist in Unisys/OS 2200)
Transoft, www.transoft.com (specialist in re-hosting from various proprietary mid-range platforms and general code modernization services)
The Software Revolution (TSRi) , www.softwarerevolution.com (translation services for a variety of languages, business rule extraction)
Unicon Conversion Technologies, www.uctnet.com (re-hosting from IBM and Unisys mainframes and proprietary mid-range systems as well as code translation from a variety of languages)
Xseed Consultoria, www.xseed.com.br (COBOL to Java translation, modernization consulting)
AveriSource www.averisource.com (formerly Trinity Millennium Group, business rule extraction and re-architecting services)
Metex www.metex.com (re-architecting services)
Modern Systems www.modernsystems.com (formed by merger of Ateras and Blue Phoenix, re-architecting product and services)
ResQSoft www.resqsoft.com (re-architecting product and services)
Declarative Technology Products and Services:
Be Informed www.beinformed.com (semantic platform)
Cornerstone Technologies www.http://g4eam.com/ (European company active in US which does translation to domain specific languages – DSLs).
Mission Critical IT www.missioncriticalit.com (ODASE™ inference engine)
Raincode, http://www.raincode.com (domain specific languages – DSLs)
Xactis, http://www.xactiscorp.com (domain specific languages – DSLs)
Erudine www.erudine.com (Erudine Behaviour Engine – EBE™)
Legsem, http://www.legsem.com, open source initiative for mainframe/open systems integration with related services
MSS International, http://www.mssint.com (the MSS Synchronizer product was designed to implement the Test Driven Modernization methodology)
Any broken links or identified errors in the list above, please post a comment below. Thanks!